Gum diseases such as periodontitis and gingivitis can cause decaying of gum tissues, receding of the gum line, bleeding, and release of pus. To get rid of the infected tissues and replenish the volume near the receded gum line, laser therapy, and gum grafting can be the best treatment options.
Gum recession is a gradual process and can happen as a result of many factors that include:
- Aggressive brushing techniques
- Use of tobacco
- Advanced periodontal disease
Gum recession can affect the aesthetics of the smile, making teeth look significantly longer or more pronounced. As a result of the exposure of the roots, tooth sensitivity can also increase. Gum recession also allows pockets to develop between the teeth and the gum line. Food particles, tartar, and bacteria can accumulate here, increasing the risks for gum disease, tooth loss, and more severe problems like periodontitis bone necrosis.
What is Pinhole Surgical technique (PST)?
Pinhole surgery is a minimally-invasive method that helps correct the gum recession. An alternative to surgical gum tissue grafting, pinhole gum rejuvenation treatment needs no incisions, no stitches, and no downtime.
Unlike the procedures which take gum tissue from the palate or another donor site, the pinhole technique pulls down the gum tissue bordering your tooth, using collagen strips to restore your natural gum line. The body will absorb the collagen strips over time, resulting in the correction of gum recession.
During the procedure, your dentist will:
- Make one or two pinholes in the gum tissue.
- Adjusts your gum tissue using microsurgical techniques to cover exposed roots.
- Secures newly placed gum tissue with small biocompatible strips of collagen to keep gum tissue from moving around during healing.
One main benefit of pinhole surgery is that you will not experience much discomfort normally experienced after gum grafting.
- It helps improve smile aesthetics
- It helps restore gum tissue
- No scalpels, incisions, and sutures are involved
- Requires just one visit to the dental office for treatment
- Fast recovery time
- Minimal bleeding
Are you suffering from gum recession? To find out if the pinhole technique can benefit your gums, please call us or book an appointment online.